I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy. - Marilyn Monroe

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fashion Quest: the Perfect Plaid Skirt

I am on a quest for a plaid skirt.  Not the skanky, adult-fantasy-catholic-schoolgirl look.  For one thing my thighs do not take too kindly to exposure and for another you need the physique of a string bean with the silly desire to be reduced to a breathing blow up doll to pull that one off.  Nope, I want a full on retro plaid circle skirt that illustrates my retro aesthetic.  Something like this:

Created by Frigid Couture
Or this!
Created by Bristolin Bloom
I particularly like the cowboy boots with this one!  My biggest hurtle to overcome in my Quest is the strange, perverted, stubborn insistence I have that I will somehow manage to stumble across my perfect tartan skirt in a thrift store.  For cheap at that.  So I've been aimlessly wandering through some of my favorite thrift stores in the last few weeks hoping beyond hope that I will find "the one".  In the meantime I have picked up some pretty glassware and a bunch of Highlander romance novels (yum, yum!) but no skirt.  I came pretty darn close last night with a heavily pleated version in grey, turquoise and royal blue which was unfortunately a good two sizes too small for me.  On second thought it was probably fortunate that it didn't fit me because both the color and cut aren't exactly flattering on me.  *Sigh!*

I could of course shell out fifty or sixty dollars and buy one of the delicious skirts I've found online.  Or this beautiful plaid dress I can't stop staring at:
Created byJoJos Retro and Vintage
If I hadn't recently decided to cut back on the spending I would be buying this beautiful dress instead of blogging about it.

*Sigh*

But I have hope.  Push comes to shove I will just have to keep my fingers crossed and keep scouring the thrift stores, which is a reward unto itself come to think of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment