I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy. - Marilyn Monroe

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Jan 7th - The Gabe Zimmerman Memorial Trailhead

Here in Tucson we recently marked the 1 year anniversary of the shootings that took place on January 8, 2011.  Gabe Zimmerman was one of Gabriel Giffords' political aides and lost his life in the shootings.  He was apparently quite the hiker, so one of the trailheads of the Arizona Trail was dedicated in his memory.  Will and I went for the dedication ceremony and hiked part of the trail.  Here are some of the pictures from the days events.

Emily Nottingham (left), director of the Arizona Trail and Gabe's mother.
The new gate to the trailhead, featuring an image of Gabe and a dedication.
Reverse side of gate, with metal art.
Detail of reverse view of gate.
Snake bike rack.

This section of the Arizona trail is extremely beautiful and I highly recommend paying it a visit if you are at all interested in hiking.

I failed to get a picture, but Will and I were also honored to meet none other than Gabriel Giffords who arrived for the dedication ceremony.  It hadn't been announced that she was coming, so it came as a complete shock to us to see her there.  It was an incredible day.

No comments:

Post a Comment