I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy. - Marilyn Monroe

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

My biggest style influence

Without a doubt, my Grandmother!  Carol Arter was held up to me at an early age as the epitome of style manners and class.

Tom and Carol Arter, c. 90s.

I remember watching "I Love Lucy" reruns on Tv Land with my dad while I was growing up.  He used to chuckle at Lucy's antics and then would tell me about how my grandmother's hair used to be as bright red as the famous comedienne's.  Years later I found out that Grandma used to dye hers red.  I was following in her footsteps and didn't even know it! (Coincidentally I discovered that Lucille Ball dyed hers as well, as did Rita Hayworth).

My collection of vintage earrings is quite large and sometimes I like to just get out my jewelry box (I have one with small divided compartments I keep just for the antiques) and just handle them.  I was doing that a few months ago and I had a vivid memory of my Grandmother's jewelry.  I only rarely went into her bedroom out of respect unless she sent me up to fetch something for her.  I remember her mirrored dressing table and sitting beside her hair brush was a small tray with a mirrored bottom holding all her pretty clip on earrings.  She favored pearls if I remember correctly.

One of my favorite stores on 4th Ave, How Sweet It Was, displays their vintage jewelry in the exact same way.  It's probably one of many reasons why I find it hard to be in that store without buying something.

There is a picture of me that is famous in my family.  I was two years old according to my mother's handwriting on the back, and was visiting my Grandma.  Apparently I must have loved red lipstick even then because I am wearing what must have been a good part of a $30 tube of Estee Lauder all over the bottom of my face.  (My guess is that I have having trouble keeping the lipstick in the lines as it were so I just kept making it bigger so it would look good!)  Mom used to say she was terrified her Mother-in-law was going to get angry but apparently Grandma just rolled with laughter.

The Great Lipstick Escapade, 1986

I envision my Grandmother as she looked at my age, a sassy redhead in an airline stewardess' uniform.  Now there's an image to try and live up to!

I love you Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment