I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy. - Marilyn Monroe

Monday, June 20, 2011

Sweet finds at Bookmans

To those of you who live in Tucson, I probably don't have to explain what Bookmans is.  To those of you who haven't experienced it, Bookmans is a small local chain of business that buy/trade/sell primarily books but also cds, dvds, magazines, comic books and a small amount of antiques and oddities.  They are always worth a browse, even if you don't know what you want because you will never know what you will find.  For example, alongside my copies of foreign and classic films, numerous books that are threatening to overwhelm my bedroom, and piles of cds are strange and unique treasures.  My geisha doll in her glass frame, dressed in her finery.  A set of glasses with images from the silent movie greats.  The gunmetal grey Ibanez bass leaning up against the wall.

The most impressive thing is that since Bookmans deals in trade, you can bring in your old, unwanted items, they will buy what they want and either give you cash or credit.  The credit is always the better deal.  You not only receive more of it, but you don't have to pay a sales tax on your purchases.  Bookmans trade is better than gold if you are a bibliophile.

Needless to say, Bookmans finds will no doubt find their way into these posts frequently.  Today I wanted to share two sets of vintage earrings I snagged while waiting in line to pay for my purchases.

Now, Bookmans does carry a small selection of costume jewelry in spinners near their cash registers and the stuff they usually sell is very nice, but modern and cheap.  These caught my eye initially because of their unusual design, but when I turned them over and saw the screw backs, I really got excited.  They are made of sterling silver and consist of a small hoop hanging straight down.  The drops dangle very nicely and have a lot of movement to them.  The screw backs place the earrings prior to the 1950s when they went out of style, but the overall design of the earrings, I feel make them much older.  They look very Art Deco to me, which would set them in the 1920s-30s.  I paid $6 in trade credit for them.

This second pair was again snagged from  Bookmans while waiting in line.  This time the material is shell, dyed a vibrant shade of neon pink.  My cell phone camera does not do them justice!  They are marked "Japan" on the metal clips on the back which date the earrings after WWII when Japan was making cheap costume jewelry for export to the U.S. but the color and shapes place them in the early 1960s.  I'm a real sucker for "Japanized" vintage jewelry and own several pieces even though I know collectors don't place a lot of value on them.  I paid $5 in trade credit for this pair.

Have you found any treasures at your local Bookmans?  Leave me a comment and tell me about your find!

No comments:

Post a Comment