I have too many fantasies to be a housewife. I guess I am a fantasy. - Marilyn Monroe

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Movie Review: Animal Crackers (1930)


Captain Spaulding, noted African explorer, returns from overseas to a welcome party held by Mrs. Rittenhouse, who is also using the opportunity to be the first to display a valuable painting borrowed from a famous art collector.  During the party the painting is stolen and its up to the Marx brothers to get the painting back!

This was my first time encountering the work of the Marx brothers.  Absolutely hysterical!  Groucho is so brilliant and his delivery so smooth I was left alternatively laughing and staring slack jawed at the screen!  Chico with his outrageous accent and practical approach to conning his social "betters" and Harpo with his sweet-yet-oversexed silence made for a perfect combination of talents.

My favorite scene from the movie, where Groucho both insults and proposes marriage to two of the women:


I also had no clue that they were as musically talented as they were!  In one scene Chico and then Harpo play the piano for the gathered guests, in another Harpo reprises the song "Why Am I So Romantic?" on the harp while whistling the melody.  Absolutely beautiful!  And so unexpected.


Animal Crackers absolutely delighted me!  I am anxious to see more of their work.

Some great Groucho lines from the film:
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas.  How he got in my pajamas, I don't know.


Tell me what do you think of the traffic problem?  What do you think of the marriage problem?  What do you think of at night when you go to bed, you beast.


We took some pictures of the native girls but they weren't developed.  But we're going back again in a couple of weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Some great lines here, especially in the film's first half. How about Groucho's suggestion to Chico when he's at the piano - "If you get near a song, play it."

    ReplyDelete